Monday, March 31, 2014

Full Gist on Boko Haram Detainees Vs SSS + Questions Begging for Answers

Detained Boko Haram militants at the headquarters of the State Security Services in Abuja took over the complex for over six hours after disarming SSS agents guarding the facility. *double sigh*

The actions of the Boko Haram militants reportedly led to prolonged negotiations which later resulted to shootings at the complex for over 4 hours.

 The gunfight at the complex known as “Yellow House” caused panic in Abuja as the complex sits close to the Presidential Villa and one of the most fortified area in the national capital. Soldiers and the air force counterparts were drafted in some few hours later to bring the insurrection under control. 

The shootout between security operatives and Boko Haram members which occurred yesterday morning is said to have claimed the lives of 21 militants while 2 SSS officers sustained injuries as detainees reportedly overpowered their guards, shot several operatives and broke down heavy doors at the detention facility to stage a daring escape.

An SSS source told SaharaReporters that the militants succeeded in freeing several inmates and almost taking over the complex before reinforcement came from the Nigerian military. He said the detainees had held the detention facility under a siege for several hours, with security agents negotiating with them to end the tense stand-off. He added that the operatives, aided by soldiers, went on the offensive after the detainees who had obtained weapons had run out of ammunition. He said most of the dead detainees were shot dead as they fled the complex. 

According to the source, four fleeing suspects were shot dead at a park near the facility. 

After the shooting, SSS spokesperson, Marilyn Ogar, issued a statement that downplayed the attack, saying it was an attempted jailbreak by detained terrorists. See her statement after the jump............

“At 0715 hours, the Service suspect handler went to the detention facility within the Headquarters to feed the suspects. 
“One of the suspects attempted to disarm him by hitting him at the back of his head with his handcuff.
“[The suspect’s] attempt to escape drew the attention of other guards at the facility who fired some shots to warn and deter others. 
“The gun shots attracted the attention of the military with whom we have an understanding of mutual assistance in the event of any threat. 
“The Army immediately deployed a team to reinforce our perimeter guards to forestall any external collaborators. 
“The situation has since been brought under control. Further details will be communicated.”
Although there is no concrete account of how the attack began, multiple sources have confirmed that it was an attempted jailbreak. Below is how Vanguard reported the incident:
"According to a security source, one of the Boko Haram members told one of the DSS guards that he was pressed and needed to go to the toilet. 
The sect member’s request was obliged without being leg-chained. On getting to the toilet and finding the door locked, he applied force and uprooted the toilet seat unknown to the operative who was standing outside. 
When the detainee knocked the door to indicate that he had finished, the DSS the operative opened the door, only to have his head smashed with the heavy toilet seat. 
The operative was said to have collapsed. The sect member then collected the gun of the operative, went to the cell entrance and opened fire on the other operatives who were caught off-guard and set free many of his colleagues. 
The source said it was the shooting at the DSS centre that alerted other operatives who mobilised to take on the sect members, leading to serious shoot-out between the terrorists and the operatives for over an hour before security was re-enforced and soldiers drafted to the scene. 
It was learnt that the DSS, which is highly embarrassed by the incident, has begun investigation into why the detainees handler decided to go and open the cell gate alone without being accompanied by others, as is the standard practice. 
According to the source, “the whole episode occurred between 6:30 am and 7am on Sunday during the normal hand-over and take-over of detainees. 
“The standard rule is that you cannot go alone to open the gate leading to the detainees’ cell but as soon as the man opened the gate, he was attacked and he tried to run away and was shot. The shot operative has been taken to hospital.” 
The uprising led to the deployment of soldiers to the DSS Headquarters and around the Presidential Villa."
The incident has left many Nigerians in shock as to how the bedrock of national security was left vulnerable to terrorists?

Reports states that there was a 'heavy' gun battle between the militants and the SSS which brings us to question number two: how did the militants get access to guns and ammunitions while in detention?

Lets just leave the case of conflicting reports of 'normal handover', 'feeding' and 'going to toilet' and face the fact that the officer(s) who was/were overpowered by these militants have a lot of questions to answer but first the SSS needs to answer the above questions.


Disclaimer: Comments on this blog are not posted by the owner, therefore, the blog owner will not be liable for any comment made by readers.Thank you.